Frequently Asked Questions
Coco Bedding is a unique and bold concept that challenges conventional stall bedding practice. The Q&A below will address most of the common questions you have. Please feel free to contact us if you have a specific question and we will be glad to assist you.
1. Will the animals eat the coconut bedding?
Coco Bedding is made from discarded outer fibrous shells (called husks) of coconuts. The fibers and peat are literally odorless and tasteless. Animals simply do not like it. Of the several trials we had conducted, we had only one instance where a horse had ingested the coco bedding. Later, we found out that he had a nervous disorder and had a habit of eating stall bedding (shavings, sawdust etc.). We had to conclude this instance as an anomaly.
2. How much bedding is needed for my horse stall?
We have conducted several trials since 2014 on this product in the states of SC, NC, GA & FL. The answer is - "It depends on many factors". Here's why:
- Some barns require the horses locked indoors 16+ hours in a day. In some stalls, the horses come in and go out as they please.
- A huge Clydesdale draft horse will produce more urine than a Thoroughbred. Lesser the volume of urine, longer the bedding will last.
- There is less wastage when a horse is less messy. We have observed that the Arabians are a lot tidier than the Thoroughbreds.
- A 10' x 12' stall will need only half the bedding than a 12' x 24' stall.
- Some horses habitually produce more urine.
With so many variables, it is hard to make a single recommendation. A generic answer will be: For a regular size horse with normal food habits; housed in a 10' x 10' or 12' x 12' stall for 16-18 hours a day - a one time application of 3 bales of Coco Bedding EQ would last up to 2 months. Some customers have even reported 3+ months. However, for aesthetic reasons, we recommend a muck out when the bedding turns mushy.
3. Is Coco Bedding expensive?
Our product is affordable in the long run. If you have 8+ stalls, our product can make great economical sense to your barn. . You are welcome to pickup the product from our warehouse in SC and save on shipping. We are working on expanding our supplies to the other states, but are not there yet! We will keep you posted on the developments.
4. I can buy a truck load of saw dust for $200 or less. Can you beat that price?
Sorry. We cannot! There is a cost involved to transport the product half way across the world to our U.S warehouse. We will not compromise the goodness of our bedding to cheap sawdust or shavings.